Spicy Mussels with Spanish Chorizo & White Beans
Bring Spanish heat to your customers with a spicy mussel dish. Bush’s Best® Garbanzo Beans, mussels and Spanish chorizo are braised with saffron, red chili flakes and white wine to make a rich seafood entrée.
- Yields: 16
- Serving Size: 1 ½ cup
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
|Olive oil||1 Tbsp|
|Onion, white, medium, diced||1 each|
|Spanish chorizo, small dice||20 oz|
|Tomatoes, crushed, canned||43 oz|
|Bush's Best® Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed||1, #10 can|
|Crushed red pepper flakes||1 tsp|
|Kosher salt||1 tsp|
|Black pepper||½ tsp|
|Olive oil||1 Tbsp|
|Whole almonds, skinless||1.2 oz|
|Whole hazelnuts, skinless||1.2 oz|
|Garlic cloves, chopped||2 each|
|Flat-leaf parsley, chopped||¼ cup + 1 Tbsp|
|White wine, dry||2 cups|
|Saffron threads||¼ tsp|
|Black mussels*, live||3 ½ lbs|
- In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil and onions, cook 5 to 8 minutes. Add chorizo and cook until heated through.
- Add crushed tomatoes, garbanzo beans, water, red pepper, sugar, salt and pepper. Cover and let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, over medium heat, add olive oil, almonds and hazelnuts. Sauté until toasted. Add garlic; sauté an additional 60 to 90 seconds. Remove from heat and allow to cool. In a food processor, combine nut mixture and 1 Tbsp of parsley; pulse until fine and crumbly. Reserve.
- Once the bean and tomato mixture has cooked, add white wine and saffron threads, bring to a boil and add the reserved nut mixture. Add mussels, cover and cook 5 to 8 minutes or until most mussels are open. As they open, remove and place in a separate bowl, keep warm.
- To serve, in a shallow bowl, scoop 1 ½ cups of the mixture and top with 4 to 5 mussels depending on size.
*A note about mussels:
Next RecipeBlack Bean Corn Cakes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes (fryer) 12 minutes (oven)
- Yields: N/A
- Serving Size: N/A