Roasted Poblano Pinto Bean Stew
Craft a colorful, flavorful stew that will work any time of the day with this combination of Bush’s Best® Low Sodium Pinto Beans, ham, carrots, garlic, and a balanced blend of spices.
- Yields: 168 servings
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Prep Time: 12 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
|Low Sodium Bush’s Best® Pinto Beans, drained and rinsed||7, #10 cans|
|Ham, large diced||3 lbs|
|Canola Oil||4 fl oz|
|White Onion, medium diced||2.5 lbs|
|Carrot, peeled and medium diced||1 lb|
|Celery, medium diced||1 lb|
|Fresh Garlic, minced||3.5 oz|
|Poblano Peppers, roasted, peeled and medium diced||3 lbs|
|Bay Leaves||14 each|
|Ground Cumin||½ cup|
|Thyme, dried||2 ½ Tbsp|
|Mexican Oregano, dried||1/3 cup|
|Low Sodium Chicken Stock||1 gal + 3 qt|
|Sherry Vinegar||4 fl oz|
|Kosher Salt and Black Pepper||TT|
- Heat a large skillet with canola oil over medium-high heat. Add diced ham and sear until browned. Remove ham, leaving some fat behind. Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes just to soften.
- Transfer veggies and ham to a large stock pot or steam jacket kettle. Add diced roasted poblano peppers and remaining ingredients and simmer covered for 30 minutes and then 30 more uncovered. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Divide among 4-in half hotel pans for holding.
- After 30-35 minutes, remove from oven and let sit covered for 20 minutes. When ready to serve remove foil and fluff with a fork.
Next RecipeSW Chopped Salad with Pinto Beans
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Yields: 25 servings
- Serving Size: 5.5 oz