Moroccan Lentil & Bean Soup with Naan Grilled Cheese
Put a twist on the classic soup and grilled cheese combo. Offer a soup full of smoky spices and Bush’s Best® Bean Pot Vegetarian Baked Beans paired with soft naan bread filled with creamy Manchego cheese.
- Yields: 28 servings
- Serving Size: 1 cup servings, 1 sandwich
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 75 minutes
MOROCCAN LENTIL BEAN SOUP
|Tomato paste||1 ½ cups|
|Onion, yellow, medium, diced||1 ½ each|
|Cilantro leaves, fresh, packed||2 cups|
|Flat-leaf parsley, fresh, packed||2 cups|
|Kosher salt||1 ½ Tbsp|
|Cumin seed||½ Tbsp|
|Coriander, ground||½ Tbsp|
|Black pepper||½ tsp|
|Smoked paprika||¾ tsp|
|Ginger, ground||½ tsp|
|Saffron threads||? tsp|
|Red lentils||1 lb|
|Bush's Best®: Bean Pot™ Vegetarian Baked Beans||1, #10 can|
|Manchego cheese, shredded||14 cups|
|Naan bread||28 each|
|Harissa, commercially prepared||½ cup|
|1 ½ cup||Honey|
Moroccan Lentil Bean Soup
- In stockpot, combine tomato paste and cold water over medium-high heat. Whisk occasionally as the water comes to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or until reduced by one-quarter.
- While the broth is reducing, in a food processor, pulse onion until a mush. Add herbs (in parts if necessary for room), and pulse until liquefied, 5-10 minutes. Pour onion herb mixture into a sauté pan and add water with rest of spices. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer; continue cooking until reduced by half, about 20 minutes.
- Combine tomato broth, herb reduction, lentils and baked beans. Bring to a boil and cook for 10-12 minutes until lentils are tender to the bite.
Naan Grilled Cheese
- When ready to make Naan grilled cheese, heat a non-stick skillet or flat-top griddle to medium heat. Smear 1 Tbsp of harissa honey on naan bread, and sprinkle ½ cup Manchego cheese on top. Place in pan. Cover to allow cheese to melt. Once melted, fold to make sandwich and cut into thirds. Serve with 1 cup of soup.
- Combine and set aside, use as needed.
Next RecipeRed Bean & Smoked Chicken Chili
- Prep Time: make this chili a day ahead of time
- Cook Time: 5 hours, 5 minutes
- Yields: 185 servings
- Serving Size: 1 cup